Big Earth Racing recognizes the importance of sustainable living. We are committed to green business principles in our operations and in our event planning. We are dedicated to contributing to a sustainable future for our planet through conservation, recycling, and education. We consciously promote green companies who share our commitment to the environment, and we support organizations that work diligently to preserve the natural communities that represent Earth's diversity of life. Planet earth is our playground, and Big Earth Racing is dedicated to doing our part to protect and preserve it whenever possible.
Big Earth Racing is committed to increasing our green and sustainability efforts with each event. As our race and resources continue to grow, so will our ability to incorporate more eco-friendly products and practices into our race season. Listed below are the practices we will be incorporating into our events this year.
We only use 100% biodegradable cups, plates, cutlery, and trash bags from Green Paper Products
. These corn and sugarcane based disposables (also known as bioplastics) offer multiple advantages for the environment.
We never use plastic bags.
- Producing bioplastics uses 65% less energy than it takes to produce petroleum-based plastics, making bioplastics the energy-efficient choice.
- As bioplastics degrade they will remain non-toxic and will not leach dangerous chemicals into the soil.
- Bioplastics generate 68% fewer greenhouse gases than fossil-fuel-based plastics, clearly better for the environment.
- Bioplastics are made from renewable resources.
Our SWAG BAGS that we hand out to racers will always be reusable bags that will vary in style, size, and color each season.
Our awards are made from recycled bike chains from Resource Revival
, which supports our reuse, repurpose, and recycle philosophy.
We power our events with clean renewable Solar Energy when possible.
Our website is also powered by 100% wind energy from iPower
We work hard to use less paper.
Instead of printing out hundreds of racers packets, we offer digital race packets, and we always encourage online registration. When print material is needed, we make every effort to use 100% recycled paper. And starting in 2013, we will also begin incorporating digital promotions, advertisements, and coupons from our partners to be included in our digital race packet and emailed out to racers. This will help eliminate excess paper waste in racer bags.
We use local filtered water rather than bottled water.
Bottled water creates an excess of plastic waste that can easily be avoided with the use of locally sourced water.
Reasons for not using plastic bottled water:
- The recycling rate for the 29 billion bottles of water that Americans consume is extremely low; only about 27% at best end up in the recycling stream. The rest accumulate and stress landfills
or get incinerated, which releases toxic byproducts into the air. Plastic bottles take approximately 1000 years to biodegrade and leak toxic additives into the soil and ground water. Disposable plastic water bottles add greatly to marine and terrestrial pollution and they are simply a waste of resources.
- If you were to fill one quarter of a plastic water bottle with oil, you would be looking at roughly the amount used to produce that bottle.
- The Earth Policy Institute
estimates that the energy used to pump, process, transport and refrigerate bottled water is over 50 million barrels of oil annually.
- According to a Natural Resources Defense Council
study of 103 bottled water brands, about one-quarter of the brands tested contained unsafe levels of bacterial or chemical contamination. The FDA actually has stricter rules for tap water than it does for bottled water.